Pythonic way of web-programming

Neil Schemenauer nas-usenet at arctrix.com
Sun Apr 6 15:01:35 EDT 2003

Graham Fawcett <graham__fawcett at hotmail.com> wrote:
> [...] what kinds of applications?  We are talking only about
> Web application frameworks, which are request handlers and are
> therefore event-driven by definition.

For example, we have a web application that interacts with
FedEx's servers in order to create new shipping labels, track
packages, etc.  With an event driven system, waiting for a
response for FedEx would freeze the entire server.  Obviously
that can be fixed the hooking into the event loop.  It's just a
matter of programming, right?

Another example: we have an application that does some CPU
intensive operations.  We have multiple CPUs in our server.  An
event driven system would not (normally) take full use of the
processors.  Also, clients who have IO bound requests would be
blocked by one CPU bound request.

I have nothing against the event driven model.  However, it is
not the solution to every network server problem.

  Neil