When Python outruns C++ ...

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Thu Apr 3 15:04:27 EST 2003

"Anders J. Munch" <andersjm at dancontrol.dk> writes:
> "Mike Meyer" <mwm at mired.org> wrote:
> > I disagree with that statement. Clearly, *someone* knows all the
> > coding tricks used by the compiler - because they put it into the
> > compiler. So they can achieve the same level of performance.
> And chess program authors can beat their own inventions?  Not so.

Go program authors can beat their own inventions, so clearly this
depends on the problem domain. In the chess (and go) problem domains,
the time the human spends on the problem is artificially limited by
the rules of the game. For programming, limiting the programmer time
is a goal, not an axiom.

As an existence proof, unless you believe that the compiler produces
perfect code, dis-assembling (if needed) and hand-tuing the code
produced by the compiler should get you faster results than you
started with.

        <mike