*Newbie Question* --> Is it viable to distribute Python apps over the Internet?

Dennis Reinhardt DennisR at dair.com
Thu Apr 24 20:36:57 EDT 2003

> sys.path = [".", ".\\bin", ".\\bin\\libstd", ".\\bin\\libxtra"]
> Maintaining this "manual hack" is far less effort than you would guess.

There is something I forgot to mention.  Suppose you start with a decent
size app already?  You do not have to go through and add files to this
structure 1-by-1.

To seed this structure initially, comment out the sys.path line so that you
are using your system python path.  Now, delete *.pyc where the *.py exists.
Run your program and exercise its functions.  Exit.  Now, where *.pyc files
exist in the system python path, you need to copy the .py files to a
subdirectory listed in sys.path.

In one step, you have now populated your subdirectories with the required
libraries.  There may be other files that you will end up needing and
restoring the sys.path statement will quickly find them.
--

Dennis Reinhardt

DennisR at dair.com   http://www.spamai.com?ng_clp