Stackless 3.0 alpha 1 at blinding speed

Donn Cave donn at drizzle.com
Sat Apr 19 12:28:48 EDT 2003

Quoth Courageous <jkraska at san.rr.com>:
[apparently quoting Christian Tismer ...]
|> No, he was not. He believes continuations are an insane feature,
|
| Continuations are a _Cool_ feature, Christian. But try not to worry
| about the rejection. If you pause and think for a while, really
| think, they actually don't fit well with Python's mandate of being
| a "simple, approachable language for everyone."

It's an interesting question, I'm on both sides.  I fiddled around
a little with continuations and came up with an interesting way to
fold an event driven, message based system up, with continuations,
to make it procedural on a higher level.  I thought that was kind
of exciting, as computer programming exercises go, but of course it
would seriously complicate any effort to reason about the code.

In a way that's a good thing about GvR's rejection of Stackless,
it's a barrier that still allows serious applications but prevents
the language we all use from being infested with these features
whether we need them or not.  I suspect once it stabilizes, the
Stackless interpreter will do very well on its own.

	Donn Cave, donn at drizzle.com