Could Emacs be rewritten in Python?

Lothar Scholz llothar at web.de
Sun Apr 6 21:22:15 EDT 2003

> "comparable in power."  The reason is that there is a ton of elisp
> code out there, including most of Emacs itself, that could be
> translated to work with PyAlaMode.  My goal isn't to be able to
> convert in a completely automated fashion, but close enough to be
> attractive to both an elisp programmer and a Python programmer.

Sorry, have you ever written a elisp program, something that is larger
then
100 lines. I can't think about a way to provide this in python without
writting a lisp like interpreter. Remember that the scope of elisp
variables for example are not lexical. This is something very hard to
emulate in python.
I would really suggest to look at the structure of keyhandling,
keymaps and buffers. And then forget about lisp and design a good
python editor.