Import 'filename'? (was Re: Cross-reference 'import' in a classhierarchy)

Greg Ewing (using news.cis.dfn.de) ckea25d02 at sneakemail.com
Wed Apr 9 22:30:02 EDT 2003

Chris Reedy wrote:
> I don't like the idea of working in the file system namespace. I
> observed a whole discussion on the GCC mailing list of when (in an os
> independent fashion) two files are "the same".

In my opinion, it would be good enough to expand any
symbolic links (or aliases/shortcuts/whatever your platform
calls them) and check whether the pathnames are the same.

That won't always work (in the presence of mountings from
file servers, e.g.) but it can't be any worse than the
problems we already have with different names for the
same file.

--
Greg Ewing, Computer Science Dept,
University of Canterbury,