output buffering--am I missing something obvious?

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Sun Apr 6 13:05:45 EDT 2003

Andrew Koenig <ark at research.att.com> writes:

> Skip> I tried using 1.5.2 (!) on a Solaris 8 machine (it's what comes on the
> Skip> Software Companion CD for Sol8) I get the same results:

> foo> sys.stdout.flush()
> Skip> bar
>
> Skip> Bit rot somewhere?  It certainly shouldn't do that.
>
> In a follow-up message, I suggested that interactive input tossed
> unwritten output.  I'm now not so sure it's that simple, because if I
> do this:

> it appears to write the argument string *and then to backspace over it*,
> erasing the characters from view.
>
> Very odd.

Now questions like the value of $TERM enter the picture... and
readline, like Paul said.

Do other programs exhibit similar behaviour?  Not sure what I'd try,
mind...

Cheers,
M.

--
  how am I expected to quit smoking if I have to deal with NT
  every day                                                -- Ben Raia