missing X11.h

John J. Lee jjl at pobox.com
Tue Apr 22 15:14:54 EDT 2003

Vince Buonassisi <vjb at vuit.com> writes:

> while compiling the source for python 2.2.2 the compilation was unable
> to locate X11/Xlib.h when compiling the file _tkinter.c.  is there a
> package that i need to install in order to get the headers so that i
> can compile X window programs?

Look for a package named something like xlibs-dev, or xlibs-devel.

On Debian, I did this to find the package name xlibs-dev:

$ locate Xlib.h
/usr/X11R6/include/X11/Xlib.h

...looks like it's already installed on my system, but which package?

$ dpkg -S Xlib.h
xlibs-dev: /usr/X11R6/include/X11/Xlib.h

(apt-file search Xlib.h should find the package even when it isn't
already installed, but my Perl installation is messed up ATM).

John