Cross-reference 'import' in a class hierarchy

Jp Calderone exarkun at intarweb.us
Wed Apr 9 19:08:39 EDT 2003

On Wed, Apr 09, 2003 at 12:56:18PM +1200, Greg Ewing (using news.cis.dfn.de) wrote:
> Jp Calderone wrote:
> >  It's simple.  Code should not depend directly on code higher than it in
> >the package hierarchy.  If it does (and it isn't one of a few extremely
> >rare cases), it is misdesigned.
>
> But it's worse than that -- you can't even refer to things
> *deeper* in the hierarchy relative to yourself.

  Yack, you're right.  I am actually surprised that people aren't bitten by
this more frequently.  I know I can't remember any time where I've had a bug
caused by it.

  It would be nice if it didn't happen at all, though :(

  Jp

--
Lowery's Law:
        If it jams -- force it.  If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.