xmlrpc introspection

Graham Dumpleton grahamd at dscpl.com.au
Tue Apr 22 20:37:13 EDT 2003

Even if you can find the API definition, you are still going to have a couple
of decisions to make as to how you do it in Python. The main issue is that
the XML-RPC introspection API has the intent of expressing the method
signatures using strong typing. Since Python isn't strongly typed, in the worst
case you have to provide a way of manually enumerating what all the
possible argument sets for a method might be. This can be a pain and you
might instead loosen up your introspection API implementation a bit and
simply pass back the names of the arguments the exported methods have.

For an example implementation based on a messaging framework which
doesn't actually use the Python xmlrpc module but still provides a gateway
for XML-RPC, check out:

  http://ose.sourceforge.net/browse-example.php?example=introspection-service.py

There are two examples of how to do the introspection API in that file
corresponding to the choice explained above. Both methods use a methods
doc string for the method help.

Obviously, you will need to adapt this to whatever XML-RPC module you
are using but it should give you a start.

When you are done, if you want to see if it works and you can make your
service contactable on the net, use:

  http://www.dscpl.com.au/xmlrpc-introspect.php

and:

  http://www.dscpl.com.au/xmlrpc-debugger.php

Hmmm, I hope these two things still work, the firewall where I am working
clags when I use the introspection page.