In praise of PythonCard

laotseu bdesth at removethis.free.fr
Mon Apr 21 20:46:45 EDT 2003

Ron Stephens wrote:
> Boa Constructor is, in my opinion, a great project. It will give
> Python an open source Delphi- or Visual Studio- like IDE with visual
> gui-creator.
>
> PythonCard , in my opinion, goes beyond this in giving us an extremely
> easy to learn and use version of the same thing. Boa Constructor, like
> VS and Delphi, is quite complex. Learning Visual Studio or Boa
> Constuctor is a majopr undertaking all by itself. PythonCard, on the
> other hand, is extremely user friendly. I think PythonCard is
> revolutionary in empowering programmers who are not prefessional
> computer scientists.

Yep... There is another aspect of PythonCard that, imvho, makes it more
pythonic (than Boa), it's the fact that it's somehow a 'contained'
environnement. I mean that there is no clear distinction between the
environnement and the application, all the developpement tools being
parts of the final application - even if hidden. It's somehow like a
smalltalk environnement, where you modify an existing system until it
fits the application needs.

(oh shit, I'm sure I've just said another stoopidity that will end up in
a long cross-post with c.l.smalltlak now)

Laotseu