Python for VB6 programmers (was Re: Complexity of standard Python data structures)

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Wed Apr 16 20:00:40 EDT 2003

In article <Wrena.33096$T34.876856 at news2.tin.it>,
Alex Martelli  <aleax at aleax.it> wrote:
>Steve Holden wrote:
>>
>> You'd do better to call it "Python for VB programmers", expecially since
>> the change to VB6 is so radical that migrating to a new and more sensible
>> language might be an attractive option to some!
>
>Changes from VB5 to VB6 weren't all that radical.  It was the change
>from VB6 to VB.NET, aka VB7, that was the shocker (dozens of backwards
>incompatible changes -- mostly taking VB's semantics closer to Python's,
>btw, and therefore actually for the better, but still...).  I thought
>the window of opportunity -- millions of VB6 programmers reluctant to
>move to dotNET -- had more or less closed by now, but Aahz apparently
>has identified that it's still open.  If that perception is correct,
>then the book would indeed have quite a target-market, potentially.

Correct.  I was at the Waterside Conference last week (put on by my
agent's company, aimed at writers and publishers).  One presentation
claimed that a recent survey found 50% of VB6 programmers refusing to
upgrade to VB.net.  While that's likely overstated, that's a good
indication of where the market currently is, and even a tiny fraction of
that market would be a big boost for us.

Why is this newsgroup different from all other newsgroups?