Textbooks?

Steven Hodgen steven at twitch.net
Sun Apr 27 12:57:18 EDT 2003

Hello,

I'm currently teaching a high-school introduction to programming course.
I'm currently teaching in Java, but am seriously considering changing to
Python.  The problem is that I cannot seem to find any good textbooks, much
less ones for students with no prior programming experience.  This is the
one area in which Java excels.  I'm using an awesome programming
environment called "BlueJ", and there are lots of textbooks for students at
all levels.

However, Java is not a great language for beginners.  Python, on the other
hand, is ideal.  If I can find a textbook that is even ok, I may consider
changing, since the language is so much better for students at this level.
Doesn anyone know of a book like this?  Ideally, it would have examples and
excercises, and perhaps even a web-site with other instructor and student
resources.

Thanks!

--Steven
steven at twitch.net