Off topic: What usenet news reader to use?

Duncan Booth duncan at NOSPAMrcp.co.uk
Wed Apr 23 04:24:52 EDT 2003

"Wai-Yip Tung \(wtung\)" <wtung at cisco.com> wrote in
news:mailman.1051036295.31460.python-list at python.org:

> I haven't used Usenet news for a long time. Now that I have subscribed
> to python-list I find that email does not scale well to the high volumne
> of discussion. Instead of deleting emails all day I think I should go
> back to Usenet news. Is there any good Windows news reader you would
> recommend. I'm happily using Opera as the browser. But it's
> revolutionary news and email reader eludes me. What are you using?

I use XNews in conjunction with Hamster.

XNews may be found at http://xnews.newsguy.com/
Hamster may be found at http://www.tglsoft.de/

XNews is arguably one of the best online newsreaders available for Windows,
but it doesn't work so well in offline mode (i.e. not connected to a news
server), hence the reason why I use Hamster. Hamster is a local news/mail
server, so I use it to provide XNews with what looks like a single newsfeed
although it contains newsgroups from several different news servers, and
also mailing lists converted into local newsgroups.