Reading a non-standard floating point format

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.com
Fri Apr 25 12:38:53 EDT 2003

			.
>> While I think I can see the way to do this with various bit-grubbing
>> techniques, the potential for error is massive, esp considering my non
>> comp-sci background.
>
>Post a link to a definition of this format, and I bet someone will help.
>
>> Does anyone know of a library in python or even (fairly) easily
>> wrappable C that might let me specify the format in a more high level
>> way?
>
>Precise English will translate into Python easily enough <wink>.

It's true that getting floating-point formats correct
to the far-right bit is, in general, tedious; Fidtz
shows good instincts in his caution about that prospect.

The bad news is that, no, there are no widely-applicable
parametrizations of the range of interesting floating-
point formats.  This remains an area of "craftwork".
Learn to use a hand-chisel, or find someone who will do
so for you.
--

Cameron Laird <Cameron at Lairds.com>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net