Problem getting zlib.o built on solaris 8 system

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Apr 25 04:04:55 EDT 2003

Reed, Judith wrote:
> Text relocation remains                         referenced
>
>     against symbol                  offset      in file
>
> I have zlib 1.3.1 installed, so I am baffled as to what is going on
> here. Can anyone make any suggestions?

Your zlib installation does not feature position-independent code (PIC).
You either need to reinstall zlib with PIC, or you need to incorporate
the zlib module statically into Python. I recommend to do the latter.
To do so, edit Modules/Setup.

Alternatively, remove your zlib installation, and use the one provided
by Sun, in /usr/lib.

Regards,
Martin