OT: Python application deployment?

Nomad nomad*** at ***absamail.co.za
Fri Apr 11 15:46:49 EDT 2003

On Fri, 11 Apr 2003 13:26:32 +0200, Davor Cengija
<dcengija_remove_ at inet.hr> wrote:

>Frithiof Andreas Jensen wrote:
>

>> "kkennedy" <titanrebel at comcast.net> wrote in message
>> news:14bd1399.0304091426.1b08e005 at posting.google.com...
>>> I would like it to be smaller than
>>> the 7 MB download available from python.org, and be able to be
>>> installed transparent to the user.
>>
>> On windows, Biig == Good!!
>>
>> Users are so used to huge installs & downloads that they expect them and
>> they will be suspicious of anything that takes less than 30 minutes to
>> install - especially if it costs money. The "no-brain-install" is the
>> right idea, thoug.
>
>(really off-topic, but worth of mentioning)
>
>I wrote a simple python program with gui for a friend of mine and his
>projects at local university. His co-workers didn't want to use it since
>'it's too small, obviously it doesn't do what we need'. It's about 45k of
>python source. Then I created self-standing exe with mcmillan's installer.
>It's now about 7mb in size. Now it looks 'respectable' and 'worth of trying
>but not for serious work since it doesn't have setup.exe with EULA and
>other things -- so it isn't a real program'. Now I'm looking for a free
>install-shield like software.

Have a look at "Inno Setup" from "http://www.innosetup.com".  Very
nice, and looks like an install-shield/wise install to the passing
eye.

>So, it isn't the quality of a software what only counts. Actually, I'm not
>sure that the quality is the most important thing these days.

Of course not -- it's got to be bloated, but pretty...

--
Nomad

Wondering of the vast emptyness of the 'net
in search of something cool.