[Survey] Yet Another Open Source RSS News Reader?

Jason Brome jason at xxspamxx.methodize.org
Sat Apr 5 18:57:15 EST 2003

Gary,

Just wanted to clear up a couple of points -

> 3.  nntp/rss (http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/nntprss).  An
> interesting approach that parses RSS feeds and makes them available to any
> NNTP (Usenet) news reader application.  Uses Mark Pilgrim's Ultra-liberal
> RSS Parser.

While inspired by Mark Pilgrim's discussions, nntp//rss's parse-at-all cost
implementation is quite different to Mark's Python parser.

> Does not seem to support syndication lists.

As of version 0.3, nntp//rss supports the import of OPML-based subscription
lists.  Future releases will have additional subscription list features,
along with tighter integration with public RSS feed directories.

Good luck with your project - at the end of the day, the more choice a user
has, the better.  I've spoken to a number of people about their requirements
for a newsreader / aggregator, and their requirements do vary quite
considerably.  As you point out, it's certainly not a one-fits-all scenario.
One point I would make - if you can, make sure you support If-Modified-Since
/ ETag within your HTTP client.  As these applications become more popular,
we, as developers, should ensure that we build products that make
considerate use of RSS publishers' bandwidth.

Regards,

Jason

--
Jason Brome