Problem with IDLE

Frantisek Fuka fuka at fuxoft.cz
Thu Apr 24 05:35:41 EDT 2003

I tried using BaseHTTPServer in my application which I develop using
IDLE on Windows 98 SE. The problem is  that while the app is running,
the server log is going to stdout but IDLE is not displaying it! In
fact, IDLE looks totally dead, not even allowing me to switch to its
window and issue "Ctrl C" to stop my app. Only when my app stops or
crashes, all the stdout output appears in IDLE window and I regain
control. Does this mean I cannot debug this sort of app using IDLE? Or
am I supposed to add something to the main application loop
(serve_forever()) so that IDLE "has time" to update and check for Ctrl C?

In the end, I debugged the app by editing in IDLE and running it from
Cygwin Python opened in another window. :)

By the way, the app (my first) can be used to get URL addresses of
QuickTime movie files at www.apple.com/trailers - useful if you have
slow connection and have to use downloader programs to get the files
(because they normally doesn't allow Resume). You can get it from
http://www.fuxoft.cz/slowtime/slowtime.py