Where did you learn to unit test? How did you learn?

Nik H. nNOSPAMhaldimann at gmx.ch
Wed Apr 30 18:30:33 EDT 2003

Christopher Blunck wrote:
> What advice can you offer on spreading the testing bug around?

Teach it at universities.

This is my first year as a comp sci major. I've been doing unit testing
before, and I was surprised that we've actually been taught how to write
unit tests right from the start in programming classes, along with other
agile concepts like iterative development and pair programming (alas
using Java not Python). It's interesting to see what effect this has on
people that have done little or none real software development before -
unit testing comes absolutely natural to them.

I read some accounts on universities still teaching the waterfall model
and stuff. So this post is meant as a heads up. There might be a new
generation of programmers with mad unit testing skills on the rise. <wink>

Nik