How to protect python code ?

msw markscottwright at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 7 20:37:07 EDT 2003

Dave Brueck wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Apr 2003, msw wrote:
>

>>Jp Calderone wrote:

>>I'm really interested in this as well, and I think that it's an
>>important issue for python.  Unfortunately, as I'm sure you've
>>discovered by now, it's a question that comp.lang.python is
>>constitionally incapable of answering.  The only answers you will get in
>>this group are:
>>
>>1. intellectual property law is sufficient
>>2. no protection scheme is perfect
>

> Not true - check the archives. In the past people, including myself, have
> posted the general steps to do to "protect" the code. It's not worth the
> effort in most cases, IMO, but answers *have* been given.

If so, I was unable to find it, and I think this thread proves my point.
  I count half a dozen responses to my post, not one of which provided
any detail into protecting source code.  However, they all go into great
detail, at varying levels of insult, about how I shouldn't be asking the
question in the first place.  I have consulted the archives and the
signal/noise ratio is similar.  No offense, but this post is a case in
point (although more respectful than most) - a few vague sentences about
how to accomplish this followed by several paragraphs implying that I
don't understand the product requirements.

The software I write falls under the category of those that need to have
the source code hidden from customers - for many reasons, not least of
which is "because the marketing department says so".  Our customers are
unlikely to go after "movl $0x0007, %ax" with a hex editor, but are
almost certain to mess with code that looks like "licenseCount = 5".

My frustration with this question is that it seems to offend the c.l.p.
readership to such a degress that they collectively decide to drown out
any meaningful discussion on the matter.

>>I think it ought to be relatively easy to distribute a hacked version of
>>the python interpreter with your application that substitutes the
>>standard "import" code with code that first looks for .pys files (or,
>>what the hell, .tcl - let's not make this any easier) that are
>>des-encrypted .py files.
>

> It *is* relatively easy to do this - there are various ways to overload
> imports, import from libraries, add new extensions and import handlers,
> and you don't need a "hacked" interpreter - the simplest example of
> running Python from C code will do.

That was what I was suggesting - distributing myapp.exe along with
python.dll, where myapp.exe installed a different __import__ that looked
for files with a particular extention that were scrambled or encrypted.
   Which then raises the question of how I determine dependencies for
setup.py, etc.

msw