Catching Save - newbie

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Wed Apr 16 15:53:16 EDT 2003

Michael Hudson wrote:

> And unless someone went to the bother of faking a poorly-scanned pdf
> of Knuth's paper, the quotation and attribution I gave is correct.

Oh, I quite believe that.  I've seen it too...

> It is entirely possible that Hoare said something like this *as well*,
> of course.  I don't have a reference, however, and have never seen
> one.

That is exactly what the pages I had found said.  The wording wasn't
quite the same, but the meaning was, and I vaguely recall that even
Knuth attributed the sentiment to Hoare (but I'll have to do another
search myself before I insist on that point at all).

-Peter