Could Emacs be rewritten in Python?

Patrick K. O'Brien pobrien at orbtech.com
Sun Apr 6 14:27:56 EDT 2003

Skip Montanaro <skip at pobox.com> writes:

>     Patrick> The Scintilla text control (written in C and wrapped in
>     Patrick> wxPython by a control called wxStyledTextCtrl) handles the
>     Patrick> on-screen representation and user-manipulation of the text.  So
>     Patrick> that part is actually easy.  Just read in a file, feed it to
>     Patrick> Scintilla, and go.  The next step is wrapping all this in an
>     Patrick> Emacs-like framework.
>
> If Scintilla doesn't distinguish between Emacs's notion of buffers (a chunk
> of text being edited) and windows (a view onto a buffer) you may find the
> task harder than it would first appear.

I don't think this will be an issue.  I'm implementing my own buffer
class that acts like an Emacs buffer, except that I delegate the
actual rendering and user interface to Scintilla.  Scintilla is used
like the Emacs window, and I can have multiple Scintilla views into
the same buffer and a change in one is reflected in the other.  And
like Emacs windows, each can have its own point into the same buffer.

--
Patrick K. O'Brien
Orbtech      http://www.orbtech.com/web/pobrien