coverting list back to string

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Mon Apr 21 15:45:35 EDT 2003

scn wrote:

> my quest:  i know that output.write(remove) is not correct.  you
> cannot use the 'write' method on a list.

Presumably you want to join the list back into a string, with something
like:

	' '.join(remove)

or in general

	S.join(L)

where S is a delimiter string and L is a sequence.  Note that this may
have an surprising effect since L.split() with no argument will split on
_any_ block of whitespace, whereas ' '.join(L) will only join the parts
back with a single space:

>>> L = 'this has  a   lot    of    spaces'.split()
>>> ' '.join(L)
'this has a lot of spaces'

This may not bother you, but I thought I'd point it out as a clear
difference.

/  \ The revolution will not televised
\__/ Public Enemy
    Maths reference / http://www.alcyone.com/max/reference/maths/