file mode attributes...

Bjorn Pettersen BPettersen at NAREX.com
Tue Sep 17 03:32:45 EDT 2002

> From: Martin v. Löwis [mailto:loewis at informatik.hu-berlin.de]
>
> "Bjorn Pettersen" <BPettersen at narex.com> writes:
>
> > Thanks. Do you think there would be any interest in adding
> > these kinds of utility functions to e.g. the os.path module?
>
> I doubt that. Your implementation is valid only on Windows,
> on Unix, you need to determine whether you are interested in
> user, group, or other bits, and you also have not only read
> and write, but also execute. The current API is as portable
> and convenient is it can get.
[snip]

Ok. Thanks for considering it.

> > win32all isn't standard on Windows <wink>?
>
> No; that's a huge code base, and nobody has proposed to
> incorporate it into Python proper.

Notice the <wink>? Seriously though, I can't imagine any Python/Windows shop that don't have win32all installed by default (hats off to Mark Hammond for excellent work). I know I made it a requirement when I had sysadmin install Python on all of our machines <grin>.

-- bjorn