Would you like a Snobol pattern matcher? (Re: Making regex suck less)

Terry Hancock hancock at anansispaceworks.com
Tue Sep 3 01:06:00 EDT 2002

From: Greg Ewing <see_reply_address at something.invalid>
> Maybe it's time for me to resurrect the Snobol-style
> pattern matching module that I started on a while
> back and never got around to releasing.
>
> Would anyone be interested in this? Its
> syntax is similar to that of Plex REs, except that
> the primitives are Snobol-like, and it uses a
> backtracking matching algorithm that's much more
> powerful than a DFA (you can write entire parsers
> in it, for example).

Some interesting references, possibly? --

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pystemmer/
http://snowball.sourceforge.net

These may be more specialized -- Snowball is
specifically for algorithmically stemming words,
and PyStemmer is an interface to it. I haven't
really looked into how it works.  The name is
related to SNOBOL, but I'm not sure how much
Snowball actually resembles it (if at all).

I'm using pystemmer as part of a function which
converts object titles to (hopefully) mnemonic
file names (ids) in Zope.  I haven't really
looked into how it works.

But I though it might be relevant to you.

Cheers,
Terry

Terry Hancock
hancock at anansispaceworks.com