Strange threads/stack size interaction on FreeBSD

Neal Norwitz neal at metaslash.com
Wed Sep 4 17:43:23 EDT 2002

On Wed, 04 Sep 2002 15:10:13 -0400, Stefan Schwarzer wrote:

> OS: FreeBSD 4.6.2
> Python: 2.2.1 (built from the ports collection) Hardware: Dual Processor
> Athlon, 1 GB RAM
>
> I've searched the Python FAQ, Google Groups and the bug database of the
> Python project on this, but without success, so I have some questions.
>
> - Has anybody here experienced something similar, perhaps on other
>    platforms?

Doesn't sound familiar.

> - Is Python's threading code dependent on a stack limit set at compiled
>    time (seems so)?

Not that I know of.

> - What are your recommendations to deal with the problem?

You can try reducing the recursion limit:

  import sys
  sys.setrecursionlimit(100) # default is 1000

> - Should I enter a bug report on this topic?

Probably, although, there are few people who can test with your
configuration.  So you may be stuck debugging this yourself.

If you have stack traces, are they very long?  where does the crash
occur?  What compiler are you using?  Can you report all the tests
that don't pass?

Have you tried with the latest and greatest source?
  2.2.1+: cvs update -r release22-maint
  2.3:    cvs update -A

Neal