Earing money with Python software (was: More on Protecting Source Code)

David LeBlanc whisper at oz.net
Wed Sep 18 15:14:26 EDT 2002

In my experience, the reason big corps don't buy low-priced software is that
it's... low priced!
The big boys expect to pay big prices. They also generally expect big priced
levels of support too. I think some of this stems from them knowing what it
would cost them to build rather then buy and they don't consider the lower
overhead of little companies that allows them to offer lower prices. Thus,
they question the quality of "cheap".

Another reason why big companies/the government don't buy from little
companies in general is based on concerns that 'little company' won't be
around in the future. This is especially true if 'big company' preceives
some degree of mission criticality in the software they're considering.

What dreams are made of: GE buying a 55,000 seat license at $20/seat! :)

David LeBlanc
Seattle, WA USA