Dynamic Event Handling in wxPython

Mikey at Work itsmikeytime at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 25 15:34:29 EDT 2002

I'm trying to design a menu in wxPython that connects to an SQL server to
get its menu commands.  So far, I've been able to display the records from
the SQL server in the menu.  The problem, however, occurs when I try to
connect event handlers to the menu items.  I know how to connect the event
handlers (I'm either going to use EVT_MENU_RANGE or assign a EVT_MENU to
each menu item when the items refresh from the server), but the function
called by the event handler has no way of determining the id of the menu
item (at least as far as I know).

If I use...

EVT_MENU_RANGE(lowID, highID, OnMenuSelection)

... OnMenuSelection doesn't know which menu item was selected.  Is there a
way to pass the menu item's id to the function OnMenuSelection or retrieve
the id in the function?  Thanks for your help.  I'm sorry if some of my
terminology is off -- I'm kinda new to Python and programming in general.