Dynamic loading of c modules,question.

Andrew MacIntyre andymac at bullseye.apana.org.au
Fri Sep 13 20:25:31 EDT 2002

[posted & mailed]

On Fri, 13 Sep 2002, hpyhpy wrote:

{...}

> /****************************/
> example.i
>
> /* File : example.i */
> %module example
>
> extern int    gcd(int x, int y);
> extern double Foo;
> /****************************/
> And I do :
> #gcc -c example.c
> #swig -python example.i
> #gcc -c example_wrap.c -I/usr/local/include/python2.2/
> #gcc -G -Wl example.o example_wrap.o -o _examplecmodule.so

                                          ^
why the underscore here?

{...}

> So I wonder where is the "example.py"???
> So I can't "import example"
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "", line 1, in ?
> ImportError: No module named example

There would only be an example.py if you wrote it yourself.  SWIG
generates the extension module, which you can directly use without a
wrapper in Python.

if you rename _examplemodule.so to examplemodule.so, it should work.

E-mail: andymac at bullseye.apana.org.au  | Snail: PO Box 370
        andymac at pcug.org.au            |        Belconnen  ACT  2616
Web:    http://www.andymac.org/        |        Australia