upload/download to a palm os device with python

Solon Kazantzidis solonas73 at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 16 07:04:07 EDT 2002

Hello,

I want to write a python (for windows) program which can establish a
connection to a palm device so that I am able to upload (from the
desktop pc to the palm device) and download (palm-->desktop) data.

I am totally new to this. I have basic experience with python. I have
basic (theoretical from reading articles and writing Java2ME programs
from the tutorials) experience with Palm devices.

Some of my Questions (maybe you can help me to answer them):

1. Is there a python library which I can use in order to access a palm
device and work on the databases (create new, delete existing, browse
existing) stored on it?

CODE LIKE:
from <lib> import *

con = lib.OpenSerialConnection(...)
con.GetDatabase(...)
con.CreateDatabase(...)
con.DeleteDatabase(...)
con.PutDatabase(...)

2. If there is no python library. Can this be solved by writing C
source and making a module for Python? (I have limited time as this is
work for my thesis)

3. Are the thoughts I had in 1. and 2. well suited to solve the
following problem

Have a standalone windows application which can upload/download data
from/to a palm device which allows for further work (storing in
database, transmitting to ...) with the data from the palm device on
the desktop pc?

I thank you for your help.

p.s.: please excuse my newbie mistakes in writing this posting and
point on them so that i can learn for the future.