Python and GUI question

Dave Richards mr.random at gmx.net
Sun Sep 29 14:25:37 EDT 2002

There are loads of GUIs for Python - Gtk, Qt, Tk, WxWindows, Fox etc.
Which you use depends on what you need, and which platform you are
developing for. Tk is simple to use, but doesn't have list and tree
widgets. It also looks good on Win32, but crappy in Linux. I mostly use
Gtk, because it's relatively simple, but powerful - though I've never
tried it on Win32. The main reason to use Gtk is Glade - it makes
building GUIs pretty quick work. WxPython looks good on Win32 and Linux,
and it pretty powerful. The downside is it doesn't have a (free) GUI
designer like Gtk or Qt.
I would say use Tk, if it's a simple app, Wx if it's more complex. If
it's a Linux app, use Gtk. I don't have much experience of Qt myself.

Dave