Larry Wall's comment on python...

Gillou nospam at bigfoot.com
Fri Sep 6 19:39:11 EDT 2002

"Rod Stephenson" <viking_kiwi at yahoo.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
wkr8g7rn4c.fsf at yahoo.com...
> Slashdot has a list of questions posed to Larry Wall (perl). When
> asked his thoughts on other scripting languages, he makes the
> following observation about python
>
> "Python is cool to look at small bits of, but I think the "outline"
> syntax breaks down with larger chunks of code. I'm with Aristotle on
> the structure of discourse--a story should have a beginning, and
> middle, and an end. So should blocks"
>
> I'm not quite sure what he's trying to get at here - I guess that for
> a long heavily indented chunk of code, you could lose track of the
> overall structure, but I don't write code this way.
>
> Any comments?

Long heavily indented chunks of code is a really bad programming style
(whatever's the language).
Modern python editors can find blocks, hide/show blocks, auto indent/dedent
blocks, and find start/end of blocks.
Tabnanny does a fine job on ugly indenting.

def longfunction():
    # 300 lines of code below
    return
# end longFunction()