How to build Python 2.2.1 on Windows?

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Wed Sep 18 22:09:56 EDT 2002

"David Lees" <debl2nonospammmmyy at bellatlantic.net> wrote ...
> I have been playing with Python for awhile and would like to know how to
> try building Python on a Windows machine that has MS C++ version 6.  Is
> there a standard download that is configured to do this?  If not could
> someone point me in the direction of information on builds?  I
> downloaded Python-2.2.1.tgz.tar on my Win98 box and WinZip 8 does not
> even seem to know how to unzip it.  I just transfered the tar file over
> to a linux box and it unzips without and problem using tar.  The README
> seems to only talk about linux/unix type systems.

There's a whole directory concerned with building for the PC architrecture.
See whether the tarball's src directory contained a PCBuild directory, and
if so start with the readme.txt file.

If no such directory exists then you might need to access the CVS repository
for it (though I can't imagine that all PC builders do this).

regards
Previous .sig file retired to                    www.homeforoldsigs.com