Help please with menubars

Chad Netzer cnetzer at mail.arc.nasa.gov
Mon Sep 30 18:04:03 EDT 2002

On Sunday 29 September 2002 04:18, Will Stuyvesant wrote:

> There is no visible difference between such an ``Exit'' entry
> (calling a function directly) and a normal dropdown menu entry.  Do
> you know how to display ``Exit'' like a Button?

You could use the image option to make a button image, or change the
background color to differentiate it.

But otherwise, not really.  You would have to manage your own menubar
(by making a frame w/ buttons and menubuttons, etc.  But that won't
have the advantages of using the Tk Menu (ie. it'll stick out like a
sore thumb on Macs, among other things).

But, I'll defer to Jeff Epler <jepler at unpythonic.net>, in his post, and
say that probably none of this really makes sense.  You could make a
button that isn't in the menu bar to quit (as I do in some
applications), or capture the window manager close window event to
clean up when the system provided window close is clicked on, etc.  And
just make "Quit" a real menu item (under File, say).

--

Chad Netzer
cnetzer at mail.arc.nasa.gov