Pythonwin (win32all build 148) on Python 2.2.1 on Win2K, bogus syntax e

A. Dimsdale and A. Moser fetus at AUTO
Thu Sep 26 16:32:06 EDT 2002

A. Dimsdale Fetus A. Moser <fetus at AUTO> writes:

>"Neil Hodgson" <nhodgson at bigpond.net.au> writes:

>>Aaron Dimsdale and Alex Moser:

>>> Pythonwin barfed on the quote marks marked by carets, returning: "Failed
>>to run script -
>>> syntax error - invalid syntax".

>>   Try turning on View | End-of-line markers to see if you have non-standard
>>line endings such as pure carriage returns, which cause just this sort of
>>error. On Windows, you want line endings to be carriage return + line feed.

>>   Neil

[snip]

Well, I went in and manually edited the EOLs on every code line in the file.
(Fun fun fun.) As it turns out, the cause of the problem is likely the
difference between DOS-style and Unix-style EOLs. Alex and I jointly own an
account on my Linux box at home, where we keep the latest version of the script.
Alex does most of the coding on our script, and I just do other stuff like
looking over the code when it slaps him, adding fixes and/or minor features,
etc. Well, since he does most of the coding, he had the script on his work comp
when we were at work on Tuesday, and I had him upload it to my Linux box so I
could grab it from my work box by FTP, and through the Win-to-Linux-to-Win
transfer the EOLs apparently got funkified.
Thanks again for the EOL tip.

--Aaron L. Dimsdale