What database should I use

Gerhard Häring gerhard.haering at gmx.de
Thu Sep 5 19:17:11 EDT 2002

* Lutz Schroeer <Lutz.Schroeer at kybernetik-manufaktur.de> [2002-09-05 21:46 +0000]:
> "A" <printers at sendme.cz> wrote in
> news:mailman.1031257921.29400.python-list at python.org:
>
> > I am going to program a small application (in Python and wxPython)
> > which consists about 2000 - 3000 records . Can you please recommend
> > which database is the best for that. I use Windows.
> > Maybe MS Access  or FoxPro or MySQL or better?
> > I want to keep the program as small as possible.
>
> From your question I derive that you want to run the program on an MS
> Windows system.
>
> Access seems to be the best solution.

I disagree. Access requires a lot of setup (win32 extensions if you want
to use it via ADO, mxODBC if you want to use ODBC and have a maintained
module at the same time.) For databases this small, I'd even consider
using shelve or something else from the Python standard library.

PySQLite OTOH is Open Source, and the underlying SQL engine is
reasonably fast and has good support for SQL.

> [with Access] But keep in mind, that you're stuck to Billy's system.

Yes, and for no good reason, if you go this way. Better alternatives
exist, even several Open Source ones.

-- Gerhard