Python GUI app to impress the boss?

Rob Hall bloke at ii.net
Wed Sep 18 07:51:16 EDT 2002

> Matter of taste, really... I do prefer Tkinter, because I find it far
> simpler than other GUI toolkits. But then, I've been into Tk for some
years
> now, and maybe I'm too used to it.

Yes I agree.  It is a matter of taste to some extent.  I evaluated both,
coming from a position of not knowing either, and wx seemed much simpler to
me.

Also, PythonCardPrototype is an excellent system for using wx.  It puts a
lot of the hard work in a separate file, letting you concentrate more on the
application logic.

> The first time I've looked at wxWindows and seen what's needed to open a
> simple window, it just made me run away screaming ;-).

I did that with tkinter.  I ran, and ran.  Then I found wx.  I thought it
wasn't so bad.  Then when I looked at tk again, it didn't seem too bad
either.

I settled on wx for the following reasons...
 - I needed to settle on something, and pretty soon
 - wx has a native look and feel
 - wx is fast - compiled C++, whereas tkinter is a script.  I found it to be
almost unacceptably slow in some instances.
 - PythonCardPrototype would simplify things even further.

Rob