Page describing http compression with gzip.

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Thu Sep 26 11:01:24 EDT 2002

Alan Kennedy wrote:

> A few months ago, after spending a couple of days troubleshooting gzip
> compression over HTTP, I put together a page describing how to do HTTP
> compression in python,
> [..]
> http://xhaus.com/alan/python/httpcomp.html

Thanks for writing it down. Things I'd like to note:

Netscape Navigator 4.x (tested with 4.8) does not handle Transfer-Encoding:
gzip. It displays garbage. Mozilla (tested with 1.1) shows a download select
box.

Netscape Navigator 4.x (tested with 4.8) does not display images which were
gzip'ed.

It is possible to deliver dynamic content of unknown length. Personally I've
implemented my own wrapper class around gzip.GzipFile.

Some people mentioned that it's necessary to add a header line
Vary: Accept-Encoding
Do you have more detailed information about that?

Ciao, Michael.