[FEEDBACK] Is this script efficient...is there a better way?

Bob X bobx at linuxmail.org
Mon Sep 16 16:46:03 EDT 2002

Steve Holden wrote:
<snip>

I did a test on the 30MB sized logs and the RE did indeed come out the
faster, thought not by much. The interesting thing is it caught more as
well since my script looked for exact matches and the RE based one
ignored case (as far as my feeble brain understands such things).

I remember why I had the "result" statement. It was because I needed to
write the keyword found and then the line it was found on to the hits file.

Can't seem to make that work with the RE based one. Then again...I know
RE as far as the east is from the west.

Bob