Nokia 3310 SMS Application, done:connecting to serial port(linux/win), done:reading some hex like \x00 . . ., problem:write/send command! noresponse

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Thu Sep 19 19:30:44 EDT 2002

Terry Reedy wrote:
> "Polerio Babao Jr.II" <ptbjrii at hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:52facf1d.0209190533.3048e62c at posting.google.com...
>
>>Greetings: Python Masters
>>
>>I wanted to create an SMS application using Nokia 3310 with
>>DAU-9P(data cable),
>
> <snip>
>
>>When I connect to the port for the first time I get the ser.read()
>>output like this \x00\x0c I think. But that's two response is what I
>>get on my first connect. After that when I envoke ser.read() again,

>>get nothing.
>
> <snip>
>
> I know nothing about Nokia but have had experience (and battle scars)
> programming serial i/o.  Two suggestions.
>
> First: make *sure* you have serial protocol set right --  baud rate,
> data bits, stop bits, parity, handshaking?  Also make sure you have
> proper pins active and properly connected.  It is easy to be off.
>
> Second: if you do not have one, get a breakout box that lets you see
> activity at the port.  Its the equivalent of having a
> volt-ohm-ammeter.  You plug cable into box and run another cable from
> box to port.  A simple one just has lights that flash when a signal
> passes thru.  More complicated one allows some signal patching.  I got
> mine long ago from Inmac.  Would check google for source now.

Third: almost anything you can do from Python you could do using
something like Hyperterminal (ugh) under Windows, or miniterm
under Linux.  If you can't get it working that way, you're probably
dealing with a non-Python issue.  If you *can*, then duplicating the
configuration carefully as Terry advises above in "First:" will
almost certainly leading to better results.

-Peter