Windows/DOS: double clicking a .py file

Just just at xs4all.nl
Mon Sep 9 11:06:29 EDT 2002

Sorry if this is a Windows FAQ, I'm a newbie to Windows, but not to
Python.

If I double-click a Python script (or use the start command in the dos
prompt) a new dos prompt window is opened and my program is run. The
window goes away when the program is done. However, the window _also_
goes away when the program raises an exception, making it virtually
impossible to actually _see_ the exception... Is there a way to keep the
dos prompt window in this case?

A py2exe-fied version of the program shows the same behavior, which
leads my users to report problems like "the output file is mysteriously
truncated" instead of "I'm getting a traceback. Here, have a look."...

Any suggestions?

This is with Python 2.2.1 on Windows 98, but a report like above came
also froma WinXP user.

Just