What does Python fix?

Courageous jkraska at san.rr.com
Sat Sep 28 21:45:57 EDT 2002

>After studying Python for 2 years I myself have
>recently switched to DrScheme because I have no interest
>relearning C to write extensions to Python.
>
>What an eye opener it has been to study scheme...

Scheme continuations are pretty cool.

A fair criticism of Python. "Python is not for that," applies to the
degree that you can't get Python to work without extensions for certain
classes of compute-bound problems. OTOH, I've prototyped whole systems
under Python in order to get complex design right. One such system, later
ported fully to C++, actually really wasn't all that much faster. It was
fast enough to matter (2 hours of compute time is indeed better than
5), but for small tasks, the limit formula pushes the practical difference
to zero. What's the difference between 20 and 4 milliseconds? In *user
time*, that's no difference.

C//