python on the mac.

Guy guy at lightwork.co.uk
Thu Sep 19 11:34:56 EDT 2002

Hi

I just managed to get sys admin to put an uptodate version of python
on our macs. I normally stay well away from the things as I'm not use
to there strange way of doing stuff (or should I stay different way of
doing stuff.)

I have a script which I created on a win32 machine, I now want to port
it to a mac sys9x, python version 2.2.1.

I've got the scripts over on to the mac with there modules and they
run.

Firstly when I was doing this I got an error which allowed me to open
up the debugger (which I got the hang of, and quite liked the look
of).

Question : How do I open the debugger without having to get an error
to start with ? The must be something quite obvious that I'm missing,
perhaps the afternoon is not helping (dragging on and on.)

I'm also having problems with command line arguments. Which I've been
reading a lot of posted messages on here about them.

Say I am running my script like this on win32 :

dist_set.py -V 3 -L c:\error.log           etc etc

can, is it possible to run this under mpw like this ?
One of the messages I read on the newsgroup said hold down the options
button on the mac and double click on the script, to produce a window
which can take unix style command line options. This only works if the
script has been converted to a applet. Is there any way of running the
python text file in python using the same idea ? (As the script I am
wanting to run won't convert to an applet, comes up with an error and
quits. no hint no nothing.)

If I could run my script in the debugger, using correct command line
args, then I might have a chance to see whats going on.

Many Thanks
Guy