comp.lang.python...

Gerhard Häring gerhard.haering at gmx.de
Fri Sep 27 12:15:28 EDT 2002

Vincent A. Primavera wrote in comp.lang.python:
> Hello,
> 	I've been subscribed to python-list at python.org for at least a couple of
> years I would guess.  I have been using a mail client to receive all of
> the messages, but I figure that using a news client would be a more
> organized method.  However, I can't seem to find what I need to enter
> for a server & user/password combination...

If your ISP doesn't offer an NNTP server, you'll probably have bad
luck, unless you pay for third-party NNTP access somewhere.

However, there's a mail-to-news-gateway (and reverse) available at
http://gmane.org/, which NNTP access for many Python mailing lists.
The data you'll need are:

NNTP server: news.gmane.org
group name: gmane.comp.python.general

No username or password required for reading. If you post, you'll need
to answer a one-time confirmation message for every group.

I'd still prefer to use comp.lang.python diretly. But this is quite
cool for all the SIG groups, as you can read them without actually
subscribing.

-- Gerhard