Servizi Internet

Powell, Thomas Thomas.Powell at Yum.com
Tue Sep 3 15:55:34 EDT 2002

Wasn't this spam from an _ISP_ anyway?  An abuse message to the ISP might get them to back off their spamming practices, but otherwise, what is the only "legal" recourse?  Complain to their backbone provider?

Thomas Powell
------------------------------------
Field Systems Development, Pizza Hut SUS
Yum! Brands, Inc.

-----Original Message-----
From: François Pinard [mailto:pinard at iro.umontreal.ca]
Sent: Tuesday, September 03, 2002 3:41 PM
To: Gerhard Häring
Cc: python-list at python.org
Subject: Re: Servizi Internet

[Gerhard Häring]

> The only means you have is complain to their ISP
> (abuse@{name_of_ISP}).

This is rather discouraging, you know.

Most ISP around here, and especially the big ones, could not care any less. Thinking about it, some international providers are not fully pink either. They are far more interested into protecting the anonymity of those from which they receive money.  Aren't they in business, after all?

They will almost never take action unless forced to do so by police intelligence services, and such services are so horribly heavy or slow to get in motion that it is almost a lost cause as far as practice is concerned.

Police people affected to computer crimes told me that they are severely understaffed, and fully overwhelmed by requests emanating from big banks or military agencies, which are to be served in priority.  Moreover, in far too many cases, they have youth protection law in their way.

We pay all the way.  Spammers use our network connectivity, our CPUs, our disks and our own time for bothering us; they misredirect rejects so companies pay postmasters or sysadmin services to handle their crap; and everybody invest effort and energies trying to escape the constant annoyance.  While politicians, from their ivory towers, discourse on the virtues of Free Speech!