[Tutor] Not sure how to phrase this question

Magnus Lycka magnus at thinkware.se
Tue Sep 17 04:53:48 EDT 2002

At 18:55 2002-09-16 -0400, Arthur wrote:
>Would hate to have to resort to truely understanding
>this stuff to get to where I am hoping to get.

;)

Don't you think it would be simpler to make a
factory function, instead of trying to mess
with the constructors?

def returnClassic... rather than
class returnClassic...

The interface would look just the same, and I
think implementation would be trivial.

What you are doing now certainly seems to defy
the intentions of __new__, since what you are
returning is not in the inheritence chain of the
class.

If my channeling is successful, you are neither
doing what Guido intended, nor what the Gang of
4 intended with the Factory patterns.

--
Magnus Lyckå, Thinkware AB
Älvans väg 99, SE-907 50 UMEÅ