More on Protecting Source Code

Bradley D. Larson blarson at crary.com
Fri Sep 20 10:11:34 EDT 2002

Perhaps we should start a IP/Developer/Python support group for ourselves....

It appears that after reading this discussion the only real method of protecting
software code (not concepts) is to operate it from a black box behind locked
doors where the software is only accessable via a generic readily available,
"who cares who copies it" client (ie. html browser).

Otherwise someone, somewhere somehow will always (I didn't shout ALWAYS)
will be able to reverse engineer your product.

This has been a problem with "hard" products since the beginning of time.
Anyone can beg, borrow, or steal your toaster, bicycle, or car and tear it
down and build one similar (and even learn from your mistakes).

Legal recourse is usually at best a loss or break even venture, sure you stopped
them but at what cost and it does not reverse the damage that has already been
done.

Cliff Wells wrote:

> On Tue, 2002-09-17 at 03:13, David LeBlanc wrote:
> > EXCUSE ME, but I'm not criticizing anyone!

<snip>