Larry Wall's comment on python...

Kow Kuroda kkuroda at crl.ucsd.edu
Sun Sep 8 00:44:48 EDT 2002

On Saturday, September 7, 2002, at 07:51 PM, Peter Hansen wrote:

> Gib Bogle wrote:
>> Peter Hansen wrote:
>>>
>>> I definitely don't understand how Python, more or less than any other
>>> language, leads to more horizontal scrolling.
>> Maybe he is referring to an effect of default editor tab size.
>
> Apparently not, according to an email, which just said that
> Python leads one to do this more than with other languages.
>
> My point is that indentation (the way I've done it anyway) looks
> *exactly* the same in C, Pascal, Python, or any other block-structured
> language, so I still have no idea why Python would feel any different
> in this respect for someone.

Abstractly, you're completely right, but I guess people like Larry Wall, if
he really meant what his words meant anyway, are expecting certain *tokens*
, or rather *markers*, that make and/or help them *see* the abstract
structures called "blocks" in this case.

More interestingly, Python's lack of block-marking device (or Guido's
refusal to make use of it in Python) is another piece of evidence that
Python is more *abstract* than languages like C.

My best guess is that people like Larry are kind of detail-fetishists who
don't really like this kind of abstractness.

Kow