how to build wxPython w/ Sun's C++ compiler?

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.net
Tue Sep 10 03:59:20 EDT 2002

Skip Montanaro <skip at pobox.com> wrote in message news:<mailman.1031621231.16841.python-list at python.org>...

> As for patches, it seems to me that distutils needs a generic way to
> override such settings (CC, CFLAGS, LDFLAGS, etc) via command line
> arguments, environment variables or ConfigParser files.  It's not clear
> which way would be most Pythonic.  I'd lean toward environment variables,
> but that's just because the setup.py command line is cluttered enough as it
> is and I'm a Unix-centered geek.

What about configure programs, though? They tend to accept lots of
command line arguments, and it's hard to get more "Unix-centered" than
that these days. Moreover, the config.status file nicely summarises
what you presented to configure - much more convenient than
environment variables, surely, because you get to remember how you
built the package in question.

Paul